Sunday, October 17, 2004

Tellos vol II: Kindred Spirits

Since there was such a cliffhanger in volume I, I had to go pull out volume II of my Tellos collection and see how the story ended. With Kindred Spirits, I was again transported to a magical world with talking animals, magic, and a couple of unlikely heroes who have set out to save the entire realm.

I'm not going to reveal too much about the plot because if you're anything like me, a story like this one with as many different, and sometimes subtle, plot shifts as it has, I wouldn't want any of them revealed to me unless I was reading it myself.

What I can say is that this volume is a lot more of the same in terms of content in comparison to the first volume. Just for clarity's sake, this volume collects the second half of the Tellos comic book series from Image, issues 6-10. In this volume there are less outside adversaries and more intrapersonal relationships fleshed out. Don't worry, there's still plenty of fantasy action, cluminating in the standard "representative of everything good vs. representative of everything bad" battle to end the series.

I found that I didn't enjoy this volume quite as much as the first simply because a few things are left unexplained, probably to be explored elsewhere in some of the Tellos one-shot's that are out there. What really annoyed me most was what happened to the character of Hawke. It's never really explained and just let go. This happens with a couple of other small plot points as well. If it wasn't for these few unresolved threads, I again would have thoroughly enjoyed this volume, but as it is, it was still good reading and would seem appropriate for all ages of readers.

Ratings:
Art: 3.5
Story: 3.25
Overall: 3.5

No comments: