Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Bad Mojo

I thought it was appropriate that I read something such as Bad Mojo on Halloween. Since I didn't go out, I wanted to read something scary, but not from IDW :-) For some reason IDW's horror titles have been ok, but not spectacular. Anyhow, William Harms brings us a story of 3 men dealing with a witch's curse that was put on one of them.

The curse makes it so that one of the men dies during daylight but comes back to life at night. It's an interesting premise, but the whole tale doesn't really go anywhere. The story constantly switches back and forth between the present time and one week past, which doesn't detract from the story, per se, but only the scenes from a week past gel together into a cohesive section of plot. The present day narrative leaves a lot of stuff open and many different things feel thrown in just for the heck of it.

The other thing that didn't work for me was the ending--there isn't much of one. You're left thinking "that's it?" I didn't feel any closure whatsoever when I turned the last page over and no matter how good a story you have, if the ending sucks, then it really hurts the story as a whole.

The art, on the other hand, is quite good. It takes on a very realistic style and there is plenty of detail given with the gray shaded black and white art. If it wasn't for the wonderful art of this graphic novel, I feel it would have been a real waste.

Ratings:
Art: 3.75
Story: 3
Overall: 3

1 comment:

Redlands Porch Enclosures said...

Hi great readiing your blog