Saturday, April 23, 2005

Damage Control

So what does happen to all of the wreckage and damage that is caused by superhero battles. I can't count the number of times that Magneto has destroyed New York, the X-mansion has been blown up, or that some giant villain has decimated building upon building throughout a city. You always get to see the battles, but never the aftermath... until now, or I suppose more acurately, until 1989.

As opposed to most of the older titles that I've picked up over the years, this one wasn't simply a random buy. I read a blurb on some comic message board where the poster made reference to how something should have been cleaned up by Damage Control. Not knowing what the poster was talking about, I looked up Damage Control over on CPG. When I saw the covers, I thought that the series had to be at least interesting, if not great! Since there's been three incarnations of the series, I searched out the first volume on ebay and actually managed to grab it for a little more than $3.00 (including shipping).

Opening up the book I was first greeted by the smell of the newsprint it was printed on. It's been a while since I've read a non-glossy comic or perfect bound graphic novel so this was a refreshing smell and texture. It brought back a lot of childhood memories, especially in the story telling manner. This was a funny book through and through, written in that late 80's, appeal to the younger audience style of comedy.

The combination of campy superhero action, over-the-top dialogue, and the concept of a company that thrives off of cleaning up superheroes' messes was exactly what I expected, which is a very good thing. I have to give the writer credit for creating a company that is at the same time completely campy and completely feasible.

The guest spots by Spider-Man, the Avengers, the Fantastic Four, and the X-Men also gives the writer a chance to play fast and loose with these characters in a way probably couldn't be done in their respective titles. It's always fun to see Wolverine being attacked by killer Danger Room clown robots or to see Dr. Doom paying bills instead of trying to conquer the world.

I'm actually very interested to see if I can find the two volumes of Damage Control because it is a novel concept and if the writing is the same in the other two volumes, they surely can't be bad!

Ratings
Art: 2.5
Story: 3.75
Overall: 3.5

No comments: