Thursday, September 23, 2004

Lobo: Infanticide

This is my first experience with Lobo. I've been a little gun shy to read anything involving him since I remember many people hated anything with him in it back in the 90's. For some reason, I thought he would be like DC version of Wolverine simply by catching a few snippets of how he talked in various promo stuff I had seen with him in it. I might not have been that far off considering Lobo has his choice phrase (instead of "bub" it's permutations on the word "frag"), he likes to be violent, he's basically indestructable, and for a while it seemed like he was in every comic out there.

I was totally prepared to hate this 4 issue mini, but instead I actually really enjoyed it! All you need to know about this series is that 200 of Lobo's bastard children (I guess he's also kind of a man-slut... an ugly one at that) are out to kill their dad. Spread this out over four issues while including tons of over-the-top gore and violence, lots of dark humor, and Kieth Giffen's unique art and you have a winning combination. If it wasn't for Giffen's art, however, I really don't think this series would have appealed to me as much as it did.

I didn't really like how the word 'frag' was used over and over again, but that's probably my only complaint. I'm sure they were trying to avoid using the real 'F' word for some reason, but I don't really know why, considering how much blood and guts and gritty violence was contained in this series. It was definitely for mature readers. Oh well. In the end, though, I really liked this series and may just seek out some more Lobo to read through.

Rating:
Art: 4.5
Story: 3.25
Overall: 3.75

No comments: